Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest

Instagram

Saturday 4 February 2012

Mr Dragon



The creation of Mr Dragon has a quite a interesting background story to it, so let me start with that.

My boyfriend had read about random requests by people when ordering online, mainly from pizza places.  Now these would vary from "please draw a picture of a unicorn fighting a bear" to "please cut the pizza into tetris-shaped pieces".  And needless to say he was determined to find someone who would comply with a strange request.

One day, he ordered something from the Etsy seller A Whiter Shade of Pale and kindly asked if she could draw a picture of "a dragon fighting medieval knights with its fire breath."  I begged him not to do it, but alas, my efforts were in vain and guess what, she did it and it was amazing.



A few weeks later, he was on Etsy again and saw something else from the same seller.  He decided to see if she would continue the saga and asked for a picture of "the medieval knights and townsfolk celebrating to courageous defeat of the mighty dragon."  Did she do it?  Of course she did!


Now we come to Mr Dragon.  As a thank you for the hard work, my boyfriend commissioned me to crochet a dragon for the lovely seller.  I decided to use the picture from the first box as inspiration, and as it was a side profile it was much easier to create.  I needed to do a little research on how to create spikes, but the rest I managed to make up myself, and I was incredibly pleased with how well he turned out.  Because I did make him from scratch, you might say I bonded with him and the thought of sending him away was heartbreaking.  Luckily, I wrote down my pattern and just made a second one!



And that is the story of Mr Dragon :)

Pictures courtesy of my boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment